- * This is not a statement by this website regarding treatment centers or type of services they offer. It is guidance from one parent to another.
Dedra writes: I am not a professional or expert in this area—I am a mom on a long road of support for my son to be the best he can be.
You have been begging, pleading, and praying for the day your child will be ready for rehab and it looks like it is just around the corner. So now what? Well if you are lucky and you have insurance, they will present you with choices and you will go from there. But what if you are private pay? Where do you start? How do you know what is a quality facility? And what is state ran? What is a luxury resort for business executives and what is a serious center with a program worth doing?
I certainly don’t have all the answers but I did a lot of research and came up with several questions that are worth asking. Maybe they will help you too.
Questions to ask as you decide which facility is right for your family:
- Is the 12 step method the basis? Do you use other methods? Recreational? Cognitive Behavioral?
- Is your program based on a religion or faith-based?
- Do you have a success rate? (tip: Explore further anyone who says yes).
- Can you send me a sample daily schedule? Are those mandatory activities or optional?
- Is there a cash rate or sliding scale or grants?
- How much one-on-one therapy will you provide weekly?
- How many clients does the facility treat on-site at one time?
- How many are there currently?
- Do you have an alumni group?
- How many hours of group therapy occur daily?
- Is your goal complete sobriety?
- What is your stand on relapse?
- Do you feel addiction can be overcome as a result of completing their program?
- What is your cell phone usage policy?
- Are you co-ed?
- Do you offer family therapy days? How many? How intense?
- Are you a dual diagnosis facility?
- Do you have a doctor on-site? How many days? (You may find some do telemedicine).
- Is medication extra or included?
- Is medical detox available on-site?
- Is there an after care plan?
- Are people divided by age in groups?